Independent Reading in the Classroom- Online Book Logs and Book Talks by Students
Regular independent reading is essential as students, even in the upper elementary grades, strengthen their reading skills and develop a lifelong passion for reading. Students need appropriate books AND books that interest them. I've taught students who are voracious readers, often finishing multiple books each week. Parents, in my experience, are increasing interested in the content of their children's books- specifically whether the characters' ages and the text's maturity-level is appropriate for their children and whether cultural bias exists. In Fairfax County Public Schools, as of 2019, novels are approved at both the school and, to a more limited basis, the district level. The school based process requires each book to be approved by a teacher, parent, and administrator. This process is very timely, but in addition to this step, any novel assigned by a teacher to be read must also be approved by the child's parent; and an opportunity must be given for the parent to preview the novel. The novel approval committee for my school considers the following questions:
FCPS Novel Approval Questions:
How does this text allow students to develop the knowledge and skills essential to this course?
Consider: POS/SOL objectives, Portrait of a Graduate, relevance, interest, etc.
How does this text allow students to understand diverse perspectives and/or how does it
reflect the diversity of the school's community?
Consider: the social, cultural, or historical context of the text; and the diversity among students, parents,
faculty, and the broader community.
What other locally-approved texts could be paired with this text?
Consider: topics, themes, and specific knowledge or skills that transfer among texts.
How will instruction incorporate paired and/or alternative texts to enable all students to
participate fully within the classroom?
Consider: literature circles, thematic units, novel study, etc.
What controversial issues and sensitive content are present in this text?
Consider: language or word choice, violence, implied or explicit sexual situations, cultural or ethnic
differences, religion, disabilities, mental health, and drug and/or alcohol use.
Why is this an appropriate choice despite the sensitive content and/or controversial issues?
Consider: the author's purpose, theme, instructional purpose, maturity level of the students, etc.
A committee of the principal or his or her designee, a minimum of two classroom teachers, and two parents
must review this request. The librarian, reading teacher, and or students (high school level only) may also be
considered for membership on the committee. When possible, all committee members should read the
submitted text as well. Identify the names of committee members, who read the text, and whether each
member approves its use for the designated purpose.
With all of these moving parts and requirements, I began to focus more on helping students to choose their own novels. I conferenced regularly with students, and for some assignments I gave a genre requirement- or a setting requirement. For a study of cultures, based upon a William and Mary Unit, students were required to read a historical fiction text with a focus on a culture of their choosing.
I believe it is important for assignments to be meaningful and to have an authentic audience, and so I required my students to share two book reviews each quarter using the Padlet platform. I posted links to four Padlet walls on our class Blackboard site- one for Historical Fiction, Realistic Fiction, Science Fiction/Fantasy, and Non-fiction. For the book reviews, students could submit a review at any time during the quarter and were required to turn in a rubric so that I knew the work was complete. As I graded the reviews, which included a brief summary as well as opinions about the style and content, I also was able to approve the posting and make it viewable online. Students were able to read each others' reviews when selecting a book to read, and a list for "Books to Read" was also included in an online reading log for each student. I believe they loved seeing suggestions from one another, and I encouraged parents to read over the reviews also in order to learn more about the books their children were reading or interested in reading. As an elementary school teacher teaching multiple groups of students and different subjects, I can never find time to read every novel I would like to. These reviews gave me a fantastic glimpse into popular books for upper elementary students, and it remains one of my favorite assignments from sixth grade.



Comments
Post a Comment